1. Answer :
Universiti Putra Malaysia was first established as the School of Agriculture in 1931. In 1947, the school was upgraded to the College of Agriculture Malaya by Sir Edward Gent, the then Governor of the Malayan Union. The establishment of Universiti Pertanian Malaysia came about when the College of Agriculture in Serdang merged with the Faculty of Agriculture, University of Malaya. In 1997, the name, Universiti Pertanian Malaysia was changed to Universiti Putra Malaysia by former Prime Minister, Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohammad, as a strategic gesture to portray the status of UPM as a centre of higher education capable of providing various other fields of study, especially in science and information technology, which facilitate national development in the new milennium.
UPM is an acronym for Universiti Putra Malaysia.
The main campus of UPM is located between Kula Lumpur, the capital city of Malaysia, and the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA). It is approximately 25km south of Kuala Lumpur and 45km from KLIA. UPM has a branch campus in Bintulu, Sarawak, East Malaysia.A
1) To attract outstanding students and to produce knowledgeable and competitive graduates
2) To elevate achievements in research and innovation to international levels
3) To intensify community involvement for the generation and sharing of knowledge
4) To strengthen UPM as a centre of excellence in education, research and services in agriculture and tropical biosources
5) To improve the governance and management of resources based on best practice
6) To reinforce the position of the Putra Business School (formerly known as the Graduate School of Management) as a Top Business School (TBS)
Students are able to get to UPM by taking a train commuter to Serdang station from KL Sentral in Kuala Lumpur and then the bus from the Serdang station to UPM
Yes, UPM has 17 residential colleges for which students can apply, subject to availability.
Various facilities are available for the comfort of the students and staff such as ICT, library, halls, cafeteria, security services, mosque, in-campus transportation, sports & recreations, medical clinic, accommodation, banking & postal services and veterinary hospital.
The general academic entry requirements are available at www.akademik.upm.edu.my for undergraduate studies and at www.sgs.upm.edu.my for postgraduate studies.
UPM offers programmes for undergraduate and postgraduate levels and additional information can be found on the UPM website (www.upm.edu.my).
10. Answer :
The Research Cluster concept in UPM is in line with the current need for multi-disciplinary approaches in solving research problems. UPM has established six Research Clusters which are agriculture, food, health, forestry and environment, science, technology & engineering, and social sciences.
- There are 16 faculties in UPM:
1) Faculty of Agriculture
2) Faculty of Forestry
3) Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
4) Faculty of Economics and Management
6) Faculty of Engineering
7) Faculty of Educational Studies
8) Faculty of Science
9) Faculty of Food Science and Technology
10) Faculty of Human Ecology
11) Faculty of Modern Language and Communication
12) Faculty of Design and Architecture
13) Faculty of Medicine and Health Science
14) Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technology
15) Faculty of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences
16) Faculty of Environmental Studies
17) Faculty of Agriculture and Food Sciences (UPMKB) 12. Answer:
Research universities are public universities recognised by the Cabinet on 11th October 2006 to become leading research and educational hubs. Research universities comprised� the following five (5) public universities: 1) University of Malaya (UM)
2) Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)
3) Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)
4) Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)
5) Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM)
6) Key elements of a Research University:
7) Fields of study focusing on research
8) Competitive entry requirements
9) Quality lecturers A ratio of 1:1 of undergraduates to postgraduates
Updated:: 23/01/2014 [lanz]
UPM Bintulu Sarawak Campus,
P.O Box 396, Nyabau Road,
97008 Bintulu, Sarawak,